Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper
22-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper
nick.king - 15-08-2011 08:17 PM

I've read various other threads on this forum and I've tried some of the things suggested but I'm still struggling.

The alarm is a Veritas 8 and was installed in 2003 by Homeguard Security (I think they are based in Leeds). The alarm has worked fine until a few recent events and now the power light is flashing, the alarm won't set and the alarm randomnly sounds and the tamper light flashes.

I'll try and explain as best I can, approx 12 weeks ago we had a power cut which lasted that long I had to reset the code on the alarm, as far as I'm aware it worked fine after that.

10 weeks ago we had the house rendered which involved removing the alarm bell for a few days, it was still wired up and held in position but was away from the wall. At the same time we had the kitchen ceiling replastered/painted and one of the internal sensors was removed.

Since then we've had random instances where the alarm sounded internally and the tamper light was flashing. This only seemed to happen when the alarm wasn't set and I'm not aware of any issues while the alarm was sat (i.e. overnight).

Over the last 2 weeks we've had the rendering done again as I wasn't happy and the alarm bell was again removed. Again no wiring was disconnected and the person carrying out the work on the house secured the alarm to the wall every evening before leaving.

5 times yesterday evening the alarm sounded internally, each time the tamper light was flashing, I also noticed the power light had also now started flashing (I'm unsure as to whether it was flashing when we arrived home from holiday yesterday afternoon). My neighbours tell me that there was a short power cut the day before we returned home.

I've read various threads on various forums and tried the following.

1. Turn off power for 5 mins
2. Replace internal fuse (battery)
3. Disconnect cables from battery (power light is then constant)
4. Walkthrough test (all sensors trigger - 1 to 4)
5. I've also tested the bell, strobe and internal sounder and everything appears to working normally.

We didn't set the alarm overnight last night but my wife tried to set it today and it just beeps, I've uploaded a video to you tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJc0CC57ffo). When you press PART for some reason zones 5, 6, 7 flash, this doesn't happen with you press FULL.

Any help would be appreciated, the tamper problem started before the battery light started flashing so I'm unsure as to whether it is related.

I've also uploaded a video of the alarm internals and when the battery is disconnected (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAUYISwELXA).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - FastCar - 15-08-2011 08:26 PM

The flashing power led is an indication that there is a power fault.Most likely cause is a faulty rechargeable battery.Replace that with a similar one (looking at the video , I would fit a larger 3Ah one)and report back.The leds that flash on PART set are the zones that are being omitted .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - nick.king - 15-08-2011 08:46 PM

(15-08-2011 08:26 PM)FastCar Wrote: The flashing power led is an indication that there is a power fault.Most likely cause is a faulty rechargeable battery.Replace that with a similar one (looking at the video , I would fit a larger 3Ah one)and report back.The leds that flash on PART set are the zones that are being omitted .

I'll try and pick up a battery tomorrow. I think I read on here that maplins sell them?

Should this resolve the problem with the alarm not setting and possibly the tamper light/alarm sounding?

RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - FastCar - 15-08-2011 09:05 PM

Maplins sell more than one range of batteries , be careful the cheaper ones are usually sold out , and you could end up paying over the odds.Do you have a local electrical wholesaler nearby ? should be between £10 + £15.A flat battery can cause lots of problems, replace it and at least one of your faults should disappear.

RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - modernjim - 15-08-2011 09:45 PM

(15-08-2011 09:05 PM)FastCar Wrote: Maplins sell more than one range of batteries , be careful the cheaper ones are usually sold out , and you could end up paying over the odds.Do you have a local electrical wholesaler nearby ? should be between £10 + £15.A flat battery can cause lots of problems, replace it and at least one of your faults should disappear.

Screwfix or Tool station sell batts if theres one neer you

RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - engels7570 - 15-08-2011 10:11 PM

Changing the battery for new is a wise recommendation. This should be done as soon as possible. However, there is always a bit of trepidation on my part when the term 'builders' is used. Hopefully a new battery shall solve the problem of alarm activation during power cuts etc. I believe that the remainder of the installation may need testing in light of the fact that 'builders' have recently visited your property. I am yet to look at the videos you posted.

Take Care

Engels.

RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - nick.king - 16-08-2011 04:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, does this battery look like it could do the job?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sealed-lead-ac...97mm/63554

They have 1 in stock that I can collect after work.

Can I remove the battery as a temporary measure if I can't collect tonight as it's stopping me arming the alarm.

Nick.

(15-08-2011 10:11 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Changing the battery for new is a wise recommendation. This should be done as soon as possible. However, there is always a bit of trepidation on my part when the term 'builders' is used. Hopefully a new battery shall solve the problem of alarm activation during power cuts etc. I believe that the remainder of the installation may need testing in light of the fact that 'builders' have recently visited your property. I am yet to look at the videos you posted.

Take Care

Engels.

I'm hoping to pop into screwfix tonight on the way home, hopefully this will do the job?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sealed-lead-ac...97mm/63554

Nick.

RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - lozevans555 - 16-08-2011 05:18 PM

Hiya mate.

The Veritas 8 compact wil take 12v batteries from 1.2ah - 2.1ah.

The standard Veritas 8 will take 12v battries from 1.2ah - 7.0ah.

Generally the greater the ah (amp hour) rating, the longer the battery will run the system for during a loss of mains power.

So in the end bigger is better. (so to speak )

LOZ!

RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - Rem Alarms - 16-08-2011 07:42 PM

I hope Nick King is just your name & not your occupation.

RE: Veritas 8 Power Light Flashing/Tamper - engels7570 - 16-08-2011 09:31 PM

Nice one Ron.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Veritas R8 - moving sensor cables Nakki 11 60 27-10-2014 09:02 PM
Last Post: Rem Alarms
  Texecom Veritas R8 keypad malfuntioning jamesvscott@hotmail.com 1 572 14-11-2013 08:01 PM
Last Post: Rem Alarms
  reset veritas 8? skywalker 3 836 17-02-2013 06:24 PM
Last Post: electrician
  veritas 8 alarm battery change Guest 3 11,535 15-08-2012 09:05 PM
Last Post: GB Surveillance
  Cannot reset my Veritas R8 plus Panel Guest 4 2,791 03-06-2012 03:57 PM
Last Post: engels7570
  varitas r8 problems after power-cut Old Posts 1 1,013 02-06-2012 11:33 PM
Last Post: Old Posts
  texecom veritas keypad dead during power-cut Guest 4 3,368 28-05-2012 09:45 PM
Last Post: engels7570
  Veritas code problem - can you help? Old Posts 0 1,487 22-05-2012 10:36 PM
  Veritas keypad is not registering any buttons I am pressing Old Posts 0 2,170 22-05-2012 10:36 PM
  Veritas R8 fault Old Posts 0 3,352 22-05-2012 10:32 PM