Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Start up
05-12-2012, 10:58 AM,
RE: Start up
Hi Ron,

There should be a primary and secondary slot for the hard drives but you would need to go into bios and configure manually or else select 'automatic'. My old hard drive was 40 Meg on a zenith, and in those days it was sheer ecstacy. The bios pips are a good indication of the problem ... 1 pip .. working... 3 pips ... memory problem ... and so on, but it depends on the Bios e.g. American Megatrends and so on. Might be worth leaving the cover off at start up to see if the fans are spinning on the cpu and psu. Also worth taking the memory out and giving the contacts a wipe over. Did you format that old drive before putting it in the pc. Also worth running 'scandisk /r' to check the sectors.
05-12-2012, 09:43 PM,
"...........Did you format that old drive before putting it in the pc..... "

Sorry, that should read " did you format the old drive immediately after you put it in the pc ... "
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM,
there is no second slot on this machine, there's one that looks identical but is about 4 pins smaller
06-12-2012, 10:01 PM,
What machine is it and what make is the motherboard ?
06-12-2012, 10:25 PM,
Abit
07-12-2012, 01:22 AM,
Sounds like an old board. The shorter header will be an old floppy drive connector. The cable you have will be for an IDE interface (40 pin ribbon) and will be able to have two drives connected at once (if it has two connectors on the cable). You need to configure the second drive as a slave if you have both fitted at the same time. Either that, or disconnect the original and ensure the other drive is set as a master via the jumper settings.

Sounds like a pretty old machine. I would think about getting a shiny new one. Most low to mid range PC's have SATA based disks/disk interfaces nowadays. :)
07-12-2012, 10:05 AM,
It's about 4 - 5 years old.
08-12-2012, 12:16 AM,
Well, Galaxy guy is perfectly correct by today's standards, it is an old board if it's not sata. However, my ide set up dates from around 1999. it's ide and not sata. To be honest, if we were talking about laptops, at four or five years I would say it's old, sometimes laptops are old after six months.

If a scandisk /r has been run with no problems, and the pc boots through bios to windows then I would suspect that a startup file is corrupt. Typical problems exist in the Config Sys. That said, I am not discounting a physical problem with the hard drive. They are still available at Novatech. Personally, I would change the hardrive for new, new ide, if the problem's still there then I'd go for a windows startup. If the old hard drive proves to be O.K. after all, then they can both be used on the same ribbon, but again, I am not absolutely in favour of running two hard drives, although I did so for years. There are so many alternative problems with a start up fault and it's impossible either to list them here or even remember them.
08-12-2012, 01:08 PM,
Current situation; I've got an old 13GB hard drive hanging out of the side of the cabinet but doing the job. PC starts after 3 - 4 attempts then it's OK. I'll put up with it for now. Thanks for all contributions. I'll change the PSU when I get a bit of time.